Defensible Space Assistance Program
This program has been suspended in Yuba County for 2022
Additional funding may be available soon!
Do you need help protecting your home from wildfire?
You may be eligible for the Yuba County Special Needs Assistance Program for Defensible Space Clearance (to achieve compliance under Public Resource Code 4291)
NO COST ASSISTANCE
The Yuba Watershed Protection & Fire Safe Council will provide defensible space clearing around the homes of Yuba Co. residents who are physically or financially unable to maintain their own defensible space. You must:
- Be over 65 years old, OR
- Have a Medical Physical Disability, OR
- Be financially unable to hire a contractor, with an annual household income below the following limits:*
1 person: $31,900
2 person: $43,100
3 person: $54,300
4 person: $65,500
5 person: $76,700
* U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development income limits for 2017
Yuba Watershed and Fire Safe Council Defensible Space program for low-income or disabled residents. Click here to download the application.
Fill out the form online and return.
- Open and complete the form
- Save the completed form, choose File – Save As and rename the file
- Email to:email@example.com
Camptonville Community Partnership
Mail: PO Box 218 Camptonville CA 95922
- On-site education about effective defensible space.
- Reduction of fire danger in immediate surroundings of home.
- Initial professional clean-up of brush and woody fuels.
- Services delivered on a first-come, first-served basis as funding is available.
- Services do not include removal of household trash or other materials surrounding the home.
PLEASE NOTE: If we cannot access the home due to large accumulations of non-vegetative debris, we cannot provide services.
If you think your household is eligible and would like to be placed on the waiting list:
USDA Rural Development Home Improvement and Safety grants and loans for low-income residents: Funds can be used for all recommendations in the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety’s wildfire preparedness checklist. Our local offices include:
150-D Chuck Yeager Way, Oroville, CA 95965
11661 Blocker Dr, Suite 120, Auburn, CA 95603
Natural Resources Conservation Services Environmental Quality Improvement Program (NRCS EQIP): A federal agency that will advise and cost-share vegetation and land management outside of 100 ft regulated defensible space areas.
Yuba City Service Center
1521 Butte House Rd Suite A
Yuba City, CA 95993-2235
(844) 206-7028 fax
Oroville Service Center
150 Chuck Yeager Way
Oroville, CA 95965-9215
(844) 206-7014 fax
Auburn Service Center
11661 Blocker Drive, Suite 115
Auburn, CA 95603
Cal Fire Forest Improvement Program: State agency that will cost-share vegetation management outside of 100 ft regulated defensible space area. Contact the local Cal Fire unit at (530) 265-4589 for more information.
National Fire Protection Association has a $500 neighborhood grant for National Wildfire Community Preparedness Day, which is the first Saturday in May. Winning proposals often focus on a combination of structure and evacuation route protection, include volunteer hours and may include local financial contributions or in-kind services.
This program is made possible with funding from PG&E.